Magnolia blossom

I can’t quite remember where I got the idea to make a magnolia blossom from pistachio shells. It was the shape of the shells obviously that put magnolia petals in mind. Anyway, it doesn’t greatly matter. What matters is that I went with the idea.

This was fiddly. I had to wait for the glue to dry on each petal before I did the next one. Then I tried painting the blossom white with gouache but it didn’t adhere to the inside of the shells. So I had to use acrylic paint. I was able to use gouache for the pink though.

Anyway, it’s done and I’m quite pleased with the way it turned out. I don’t think I’d make another one though.

Here are the models, found on Pinterest …

And here’s my version …

Otherwise, I’ve been strumming away. Actually, today I started teaching myself to fingerpick the guitar. I remember trying this when I played the guitar before and not really having the patience. Now, I seem to be better able to learn. Some YouTube videos have helped. Anyway, there’s no rush and I’m kind of just enjoying making music.